Clark and Hogg Family History

click here


Local History - Woolwich, Kent

index page

St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich
St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, Kent
(Greenlaw Street, Woolwich, SE18 5AR)
Robert Armstrong Hogg is buried (28th June 1833 - aged 32) at St Mary Magdalene - Woolwich.
His son, Robert Samuel Hogg, was christened (3rd February 1834) and buried (12th November 1881) here also.
Early St Mary 2016 Graveyard
An early picture St Mary Magdalene in 2016 The church graveyard is now a park - 2016
Robert Samuel Hogg 1833-1881  
Robert Samuel Hogg 1833-1881  
(for more details see below)

Scots Church, Woolwich, Kent
(still looking for a picture or photograph of Scots Church)
It was a presbyterian church, located on the south-east corner of Powis Street and Green’s End (near to Woolwich Arsenal station and the old Royal Arsenal). Baptism records exist up to 1836 but I can find no reference after that date.
Some Hoggs were christened at Scots Church, especially between 1800 and 1850.
POWIS STREET: South side Nos 1–7 (with 12–17 Green’s End). In 1799–1800 a Presbyterian or ‘Scotch’ Church was established on the south-east corner site (Nos 1–5), angled to face Green’s End. Presbyterians are said to have had a continuous Woolwich presence since the Act of Uniformity of 1662. In the late eighteenth century links were made with the Church of Scotland, and the Rev. John Blythe led the move from Meeting House Lane to Powis Street. His successors shifted to a new building on the New Road in 1842.
Old Woolwich map
Powis Street
There is reference to a book/paper: Charges against the Rev. Andrew Forbes, Minister of the Scots Church, Powis Street, Woolwich, with his reply to the same, delivered at a public meeting of the congregation, etc 1836 by Andrew Forbes (Author) ASIN: B000X9KADA

Details about St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, Kent
Built: 1727 - 39. Listing: grade B.
St Mary's Church stands an the end of a spur of high ground which reaches out Northwards towards the Thames. The churchyard has been taken over by the Borough as public gardens.
The church was built between 1727 and 1739. The builder was Matthew Spray, however the designer is not known. The church originally consisted of a nave with galleried aisles and a western tower. The chancel, sanctuary, organ chamber and Lady Chapel were added in the 19th century. The chancel by J O Scott dates from 1894.
More details about St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich

Where the Hogg's lived in Woolwich

Rushmore area Woolwich
Rushmore Street area, Woolwich, London SE18 5DD
(Robert Armstrong Hogg lived and died in Rushmore, Woolwich in 1830's)
The Royal Artillery was close-by.
also see Secret Woolwich: Rushgrove House and Mulgrave Pond
top of page